A Pinch of Green


This is me finally using the yarn I got in Ireland. (Also pictured is my sheep mug, also purchased in Ireland.) I purchased this 100% wool yarn from the Aran Sweater Market at Inis Mor in the Aran Islands. The store was full of beautiful knits, but sadly the beautiful sweaters were a little a lot out of my price range. It's a shame too because they looked so warm and my SoCal self was so so cold. Luckily the store did have hanks upon hanks of lovely wool! There were tons of color options, but of course I had to get this more budget-friendly yarn in green.

I've been wanting to use this yarn for ages but I couldn't decide on what, and I was too scared to even gauge swatch so as not to waste and inch. I knew I wanted a hat because wool is very itchy so it would never get much use as a scarf or gloves. I also wanted a cabled pattern because after looking at all the cables in Ireland it seemed like a shame to waste this yarn on plain stockinette. I didn't need specifically Irish cable patterns, but cables at all seemed appropriate. However, after looking at tons of patterns and not really feeling any that were *right* — and also really feeling the urge to have something for St. Patrick's Day NOT GONNA LIE — I decided to take the plunge and just do SOMETHING.

Starting a with a base of 96 stitches for the ribbed brim I began knitting. I didn't even gauge swatch but I figured it would fit snugly, but a the ribbing would give the elasticity needed. When it was time to knit the body I decided on blocks of textured knits and cables so that I wouldn't be fatigued trying to do cables all around. I have a very love-hate relationship with cables. I have two strips of honeycomb cables, one block of moss stitch, one block of double moss stitch, and one block of cables resembling a woven pattern, with purl columns separating each. Annoyingly, I do have a block of purls that is bigger than I intended, as a result of changing the pattern a few rows in. This was the first time I've ever gone into a cable pattern without having a clear plan. It was always somewhat a fear of mine to start cabling without a pattern, so I'm glad to say Fear Conquered!

I really love the way this beanie turned out and I'm so glad that will actually be ready for St. Patrick's Day! The finished product still needs some blocking but I'll be sure to show the results later. I also have plenty of yarn left for a second take of this baby.
I'm including this post in Yarn Along. Looks like a great way to see what people are working on!

Comments

  1. The yarn looks so tweedy and wooly and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pattern; you can't beat a good cable. It suits the yarn perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohh this looks like it's going to be gorgeous! Nice start. Yarn from Ireland. It's make the story even more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohh this looks like it's going to be gorgeous! Nice start. Yarn from Ireland. It's make the story even more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy St. Patrick's Day! Your hat is great, I love cables, and tweed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment