FO: Sailor Mercury & Sailor Mars


Naturally, if I've made a Sailor Moon, I've gotta make Mercury and Mars. The body construction on these two was not much different than Moon, although obviously I had to change to the flesh color on Mars' legs earlier. However, I think my gauge somehow became much tighter, or a missed a row somewhere, because Mercury turned out so tiny. Then I tried to overcompensate by making an Mars' head a row bigger. The result for either is not my favorite, to be perfectly honest.

The hair is also an area where I'm not 100% pleased with the results. The problem with both is that the characters' hair is loose and unadorned; it just hangs free, so unless I gave them hair as densely packed as real hair their wig cap would show — which is not a good look. 

For Sailor Mercury, I tried placing strands in a side part and then tucking them through the edges of the cap as it came down. However, that ended up looking like she had a braid around her head — which was not the look I was going for. What I ended up doing was tucking the hair under the edges of the cap so no crochet stitches would show, but also have no loose strands (except a couple of strategically placed hairs). The loose hair was tied slightly above the edges, hiding under the hair that covered the cap, and was let sit loose. The end result was much better. You can still tell that the hair is in two layers if you look closely, but the blue yarn is dark enough to hide it at a distance.


I also cut her bangs too short. If I ever make her again I'd keep them about this length.


Sailor Mars' hair was also a bit difficult for similar reasons, but because her hair is longer it was easier to leave it loose. I knew it wasn't going all to bunch up in the middle, like Mercury's hair was doing.

I sewed the wig cap much like Mercury's hair, to hide the crochet stitches.


For bangs, I added another layer around the front and pulled them through the edge and cut. Along of back of the bangs layer I added a row of loose hair, and then added another row underneath that for extra fullness. If that doesn't make sense it looks like this.



This results in hair that flows down the back nicely, but also preserves her side part.

Comments