The Schuyler Sisters

L-R: Angelicaaaaa, Eliiiiiza, and peggy

I could share a million pictures of these girls but there are size limits on this site.

For months now I've been obsessed with this musical. I even have some of those impossible to get tickets to see it in New York City next month — just days after the main actors of the original company leave but I'm not bitter! In case you've been living under a rock for the past year, these are the Schuyler sisters from the musical Hamilton. Angelica (work, work), Eliza, and Peggy have the catchiest number in the show and that — combined with their color coordinating outfits — made me want to make them in crochet form. I started months ago at the beginning of the year, and looked at all the official and unofficial photos I could google for reference. Back in April, the Hamiltome came out and I had a handy hard copy reference in its pictures. That's the Schuyler Sisters section of the book in the background of the photo above. It's been a long, difficult task but I'm happy to finally be able to show them off!

The Schuyler Sisters are made completely with KnitPicks Brava Sport yarn and a 2.25 mm hook, meaning that they turned out a lot smaller than the Sailor Senshi I made last year. A much better size for space and display, in my opinion. I also didn't use a pattern for these, although I took elements of design that I rather liked from the pattern I used for the Senshi. I crocheted each doll with her dress, so each one was made slightly differently. Angelica's V-neck was rather difficult but I made it work (work!). I also learned how to embroider French Knots to make the buttons on Eliza and Peggy's tops.


And, of course, my favorite part of doll-making is the hair! These were definitely easier than trying to recreate anime hair, but I think they also turned out better. Eliza doesn't have a giant blue hair tie in the show, but I thought it looked cute so I kept it. I'm not quite sure if Peggy's hair is in a pony tail in the show, but it was the closest approximation I could get. And Angelica's hair was my absolute favorite. Renee Elise Goldsberry's wig in the show is slicked back at the front with loose curls in the back. The way I achieved this was by sewing strands of hair flat against the wig cap starting from the forehead, and then adding the curly strands starting at the top of the head. For Peggy and Angelica's curls I crocheted a flat piece of fabric before starting any of the dolls and then just unraveled it all when it was time to make the hair. I even over estimated the amount of yarn I would need, so I have enough hair left over for at least one more doll. I now have the urge to make the other woman (pun intended) of this show: Maria Reynolds.



Linking up with Yarn Along once again. Excited to see what other people are working on.





SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave

Comments

  1. This is so cool!! Love these girls :) I always admire knit/crochet toys - they require so much attention to details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sometimes I do feel like I spend too much time working on the details for these, but in the end I think they're what makes them so fun to do. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment