Yarn Goodies

I've been going through a process of decluttering my life, and have sadly decided that I must cull my book collection. I'm a huge advocate for ebooks because, while I do love the bookish aesthetic, I firmly believe that what really matters is the content and not the physical medium. That and physical books take up so much space that I just don't have. I've been taking bits and pieces of my collection to used bookstores that are sure to find them new lives and good homes, and have tried to follow a physical book ban. Last week, I took some to The Last Bookstore on my way home from work and made a pretty penny that I immediately spent upstairs.

The Last Bookstore in Downtown Los Angeles is the largest new and used bookstore in California, located in a former bank building, and seriously one of the coolest places to see in town. Seriously look up pictures of the inside, especially the Labyrinth, which is located on the mezzanine level along with art galleries and the place that provided the lovely goodies in the picture above -- Gather DTLA. This yarn shop is inside the bookstore, so you'll have to enter there first (such a sacrifice I know!) and then go upstairs to the yarn. This is such a dangerous and expensive combo of shopping but I love it.

On my trip last week I got the three cakes pictured above. They're all Tern by Quince & Co., in the color ways Oyster (gray) and Wampum (purple). They yarn is a fingering wool/silk blend that's sure to make a gorgeous and soft garment. I'm definitely in the mood to make a shawl but haven't quite settled on the right pattern. Although, I think I will put this yarn on the back burner for a while because while the cashier was winding up my hanks into those cute little cakes I fell in love with the other yarn in the picture. 

The hank pictured above is Caribbean by the brand In the Deep Hue Sea. This was in the local yarns section of the store. The brand is based in Huntington Beach, California. I fell in love with the simple speckles of red on white — although it was a little concerning when I got home and realized the color way was called Lovers Quarrel! It's a fingering Merino/Nylon blend, and at 463 yards one hank is enough for a small shawl — good because that's all I was able to afford on the day before pay day. I've never purchased a single skein or hank more than $10, and at $24 this one was very daunting. I made up my mind a dozen times while my other yarns were getting wound. I didn't get it that day, but I regretted it as soon as I left the store. This past weekend (with a fresh paycheck yay!) I went back and I got it. It was so satisfying, knowing it wasn't an impulse purchase. I already have a pattern picked out, and I'll be sure to share when it's finished.

Since I had to go back down to the bookstore to exit outside, and the person I was with was buying books anyway, I bought one too. My ban isn't going very well. I bought Los Angeles Noir — a collection of mystery/detective short stories based in Los Angeles. This is pretty big series with various entries focusing on different cities. I even had to read Mexico City Noir for a class and enjoyed it, so I thought I'd give the one based on my own city a shot.
Linking up with Yarn Along a little late, but still happy to see what people are working on!

Comments

  1. It always feels so good to declutter your space, isn't? I am so glad you treated yourself to this delicious skein, life is too short to deprive yourself of good yarn, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Ugh, they're all so pretty. No regrets!

      Delete

Post a Comment