Moss Stitch

Moss Stitch as instructed in Knit Stitch Guide by Rita Weiss

You know, when I first started knitting this was my favorite stitch. I thought garter stitch was ugly, stockinette was basic,  and ribbing was too much work when the finished work would fold in on itself to become half the size unstretched.  Moss stitch combined all the best part of all the basic patterns -- the alternating knits and purls provided much needed variety in construction, the finished result had a wonderful visual and tactile texture, and best of all it provided volume while not curling in on itself!

Today, with...years under my knitting belt, this stitch was boring. I could barely keep my attention going during a short 20 stitch by 20 row swatch -- which is why I re-did it as 12x12 with a colorful yarn! Still, imagine a whole scarf of it! Although I'm pretty sure in sometime in college I did that. During class to boot. But that's the point of this project. I haven't been knitting much, but my skills aren't rusty -- my patience is. I have to rebuild that patience one small square at a time, and work my way back to committing to a full project. Let's leave that box full of unfinished projects empty in 2019.

Comments