FO: Spooky Shawl


I cannot believe this is done!

I first saw this yarn, Madeline Tosh Chunky* in "Night Fell", when I was in San Francisco at ImagiKnit back in August of last year. It was beautiful and I originally bought one hank and thought I'd make a Halloween themed hat. The black mixed with the purple speckles on white just screamed Halloween (hence the "spooky"). In fact, I started making a beanie while hanging out at Dolores Park that day. However, the colors didn't really work with the pattern I had, so I frogged that and tried to figure out what to do with this beautiful yarn. 

It wasn't until October that i bit the bullet and just started a simple triangle shawl in garter stitch. I did not have a pattern, so i wasn't quite sure how it's supposed to be started, so this was a lot of false starts and ripping over the next few weeks until I finally got into the groove. Of course, soon I realized that one hank would not be enough for any functional shawl. So, after agonizing as to whether is was worth it, I bought two more hanks of the yarn on the ImagiKnit website. Of course, by the time this was done and my materials arrived, I'd moved on to other projects (actually another shawl that had been hibernating for a while, I believe). 

I have been adding a few rows once in a while for the last few months, but I only picked it up again
consistently last week. I managed to use up about half of the second skein when I decided the garter stitch was boring so I began a simple lace pattern. It was beautiful and looked a bit like a portcullis gate.And then I noticed that I'd dropped a stitch a few rows back, so I frogged a handful of rows. And then it happened again, and then a little further. And then I ended up frogging the whole second skein! So now the entire lace section is one whole skein of this yarn. I had another dropped stitch once more, but instead of frogging the whole thing again I was able to contain it, and live with the visible mistake — if you can spot it, you get a cookie.




The third and final skein of this was unwound and worked into the garment over two days! I even had to add 3 grams of some other worsted black yarn I had on hand to finish the bind off.

And it turned out as cozy as I imagined it! (I ImagiKnit it 😉)  I'm so glad I used three skeins of this yarn. Although the third skein only gave me about three inches of length, it hits right where I wanted coverage — just past the elbow. This turned out huge, and I actually had to fold it in half to block. I wore it all day!

Yarn through time: One skein, two skeins, three skeins blocking.



*This yarn says it is chunky but it in no way is. This is worsted baby!

Comments