FO: Sailor Jupiter & Sailor Venus


My last girls! And, may I state, my favorites. By the time I got to these girls I'd learned a lot about constructing the basic Senshi outfit. With regards to the collar, in making these two I figured out the perfect stitch count and how to make the three stripes merge in a point. I had to go back and remake the collars on all the dolls. I had the chance to play around with beads to make Sailor Venus' Love Me Chain. I also experimented with the hair construction, and I really have to admit that Jupiter has my favorite hair of all.

Sailor Collar
Ch. 22
Row 1-9: sc 21, ch 1, turn.
Row 10: sc 9, do not ch 1, turn.
Wings of collar
Row 11: sc into second stitch from hook to the end. Ch 1, turn.  (8)
Row 12: sc 8, do not ch, turn.
Row 13: sc into second stitch from hook to the end. Ch 1, turn. (7)
Row 14: sc 7, do not ch, turn.
Row 15: sc into second stitch from hook to the end. Ch 1, turn. (6)
Row 16: sc 6, do not ch, turn.
Row 17: sc into second stitch from hook to the end. Ch 1, turn. (5)
Row 18: sc 5, do not ch, turn.
Row 19: sc into second stitch from hook to the end. Ch 1, turn. (4)
Row 20: sc 4, do not ch, turn.
Row 21: sc into second stitch from hook to the end. Ch 1, turn. (3)
Row 22: sc 3, do not ch, turn.
Row 23: sc into second stitch from hook to the end. Ch 1, turn. (2)
Row 24: sc into second stitch from hook. End. Leave a long tail to sew on to body.
Turn the entire piece and attach yarn to the edge without a wing. Repeat Row 11-24.
Stripes: With white yarn, start from the right-hand tip of the collar and slip stitch all around the edge. Make sure to pull the yarn from underneath the collar so as not to have an edge alongside the stripe. End at the tip of the opposite side if only doing one stripe. If doing more stripes, continue from the tip by turning the direction of slip stitches all the way to the opposite tip. Make sure all stripes connect at the tips. Venus and Mars have one stripe on their collars, while Moon, Mercury, and Jupiter have three.
Attachment: Place around the doll's shoulders and tie together with the tails. Using the loose tails, sew the inner edge of the collar to the body of the doll.

Hair

Jupiter's hair was the easiest and my favorite! I could make nothing but pony-tailed dolls for the rest of my life! (Spoiler alert: I won't. I've already planned out what I'll make next, and easy hair is not it.)
She has a wig cap, which consists of making half of her head in her hair color. I tied strands of hair all around and underneath the cap. I gathered the hair, minus about half of the strands that in front of the head, into a high pony tail using a scrap piece of yarn. Then it's time to sew on the wig to the head. I cut the hair midway past the back. For the bangs, I gathered them all in the center and cut them just above the eyes. This gives them a curve, shorter in the middle and longer at the sides, that nicely frames the face. I added the bobbles of her hair tie with some puffy paint, and done!


This was my third time making Sailor V(enus)/Minako hair. I added the hair on the wig cap in three parts. The front half of the head, underneath the cap; since tying the hair creates two strands, half of this hair becomes bangs and the other half gets tied together with a pretty red felt bow. The back half can be tied above, underneath, however is easiest for you. The third part is a row of hair along the center of the wig cap, just underneath where the bow sits; this makes the hair appear fuller and hides most of the cap that gets exposed under the bow.

That's it for my Sailor Moon series! At least for the inners. I'd still love to make the outers (and Chibi Moon!), but I'm already excited to get started on another set of girls, and I plan to make their construction a lot more different than these.

Comments