November Favorites


How is it that we're in the last month of the year? I'm still dating things 2012! Anyway, it is finally getting cold here in LA. And by cold I mean below 70. Which the rest of the world deems not cold at all, but I will take the opportunity to knit all the cozy things!  Here's a few yarn things I've been loving lately. If any of you knit for the holidays, I hope this will provide you some ideas if you have the time!

  1. Andorra Wrap by Jocelyn Tunney. I love the mix of color and texture here. It's simple enough that it won't kill you to do it, but enough technique so that you won't abandon it out of boredom after a foot. I'm also in love with the ombre that comes from knitting with two different colors at the same time.
  2. Asante by Lynn Di Cristina. Winter is upon us, but autumn colors are still my favorite, and that's what initially caught my eye in this gorgeous tubular cowl. However this will look wonderful in any color combination — solid, ombre, even your favorite Hogwarts house.
  3. Baa-Ble Hat by Donna Smith. Ahhhh, I love sheep. I love sheep depicted in knitting. It's the cutest. I think this hat will make a great, quick Christmas present. The pom-pom on top just makes it extra adorably cozy. 
  4. Nakahi Shawl by Aroha Knits. I'm still going through that shawl phase. I think Francoise of Aroha Knits is a big reason why. She keeps designing these amazing patterns and all I want to do is make them. This is her latest pattern, in the beta testing phase. She is currently running a KAL on her Ravelry group to test this pattern. I don't have a nice variegated yarn as suggested, but I'm making it in a lovely midnight blue.
  5. Thicket by Annie Hamilton. Maybe it's the green, maybe it's the cables, but this pattern reminds me of Ireland! I was there over the summer and I think about it all the time. I have a green speckled yarn from the Aran Islands that I wanted to use for a heavily cabled hat or scarf and I think I found the pattern! I don't have enough of that yarn to make both of these, so now my problem is hat or cowl?
  6. Tales of Suspense by Lotta Groeger. Another shawl! I love the boxy color work on this one mixed with the lacy border. It feels very vintage-y, like I should wear it to my job as the teacher of a one-room schoolhouse on the prairie. It's an aesthetic I like so I'll take it.
  7. Mary Jane Slipper Socks by Nothingbutstring. These are only available for purchase, but I NEED pattern. I love the look of Mary Janes, so I am here for a super cozy version. You can wear them around the house, to bed, and they would absolutely make great gifts.

Comments