FO:  Irish Hat

This will forever be my Irish hat. If I ever make it back to the Emerald Isle I'll be sure to bring this along, just to make more memories.



What I love about this hat is the textures. I mixed cables with a variation of moss stitch (my favorite basic stitch pattern). I've mentioned before that I was just winging it, and I'm so surprised that it didn't turn into a total disaster as is usually the case when I do that. The only part I don't like is the large patch of purls visible on one side. This came about because the honeycomb section was going to be larger but I noticed my miscalculations a few rows in. I had to undo everything in the middle of a row and it seemed easiest to just have a larger patch of purls separating the woven cables and honeycomb. Unfortunately this section was between double pointed needles as a I knitted, causing ugly laddering. Fortunately from the outside it's not too noticeable, and I was also able to sew from the inside for a little extra tightness. Next time I do this I'll probably just make it a moss stitch section.

Speaking of, I'm already working on a second version (with the fixed column). If I ever learn how to write a charted pattern, I might even publish it!

Comments